From the Tropics to the Outback in Two Days

Before I founded Tree & Pixie Creations I was a high school teacher. I still am a high school teacher, just one who has been on unpaid maternity leave for almost three years. When I was at university I was awarded the fantastic opportunity of completing one of my practicum placements in the Northern Territory. The Australian Literacy and Numeracy Foundation sent six of us to Tennant Creek for a month to teach. It was an amazing experience I will never forget. Since I have such fond memories of learning to teach in the territory, it made sense for me to register to teach in the NT so I could pick up some casual work during our travels.

Last week whilst we were in the wet tropics, near the Daintree, and it was pouring with rain and I was going insane inside the caravan with the kids, I received a call from a little school in Central Australia asking if I could teach for a few weeks. We did the maths and worked out a date I could arrive and suddenly we were off! After over two months of travelling the East coast of Australia, it was time to head West.

 Since our kids are so young, we tend not to travel more than around three hours in one day. We find that’s the maximum they last before they start losing the plot and screaming the car down. It’s the reason why we are unsure if we will get an entire lap of Australia done in a single year. But, suddenly we found ourselves with two weeks and 2200km to travel. Unless we want to spend every night in different place, we are in for some longer travel days.

We woke up yesterday morning in the Atherton Tablelands (near Cairns) and began our biggest day of driving yet. We drove for what felt like forever with screaming and arguing children. We had bought new toys for them the day prior, but realised that instead of keeping them entertained, it just gave them something to fight about. We had purchased Jarrah an etch-a-sketch, but Nella was incredibly jealous, so we had to make a stop and purchase her one too. The sibling rivalry has begun! For the first time ever, we resorted to bringing out the tablet and putting on a movie for the kids.

After 5 hours we passed through Townsville and turned onto the Flinders Highway. We had our first night’s free camping at a roadside rest area where we could watch the road trains and listen to the freight trains. Jarrah loved it.

This morning we set off for another big day of driving. We stopped in Charters Towers first thing in the morning, before heading further west.

At lunchtime we stopped in a tiny town called Balfes Creek, where we found a tiny playground, some toilets and a closed pub. We had a picnic lunch and came across a lady named Tracey who is walking her way around Australia to raise money for the Black Dog Institute and raise awareness for depression and mental illness. She’s a mother, a grandmother and is literally walking around Australia pushing all her belongings (and her little white dog) in a cart. Talk about inspirational! She left from Byron Bay 6 months ago and is averaging 25km a day. Check out her Facebook page at I think travelling alone and on foot around this country takes bravery. I asked her what made her decide to walk and she told me that she’s never really liked people (or walking) but is now seeing the good side of the human race through her travels and is loving it.

After waving goodbye to Tracey, we kept heading west. The kids once again started whinging and fighting, so we stopped and set up camp at the back of the Prairie Pub. The pub was closed and whilst we were setting up we saw a man ride into town on a bicycle and sit out the front of the pub. I went to have a chat to him and found out he was from Japan and was riding his bicycle from Brisbane to the Northern Territory to look for farm work. His English wasn’t that strong and I tried to explain he could just set up camp and talk to the pub owners later, but I’m not sure he understood. Instead, he sat out the front of the pub until 5.30pm when the family who owned the pub returned and opened up. He then came to the camping area and pitched his tent. By this stage Dave had cooked us Bolognaise for dinner, so we invited the Japanese tourist to our campsite for a meal. He was very grateful. I told him I thought he was brave. Imagine coming to Australia with very little English and riding a bike thousands of kilometres to the desert to look for a job. Just amazing! These people make what we are doing seem like a walk in the park.

After dinner we went inside the pub for a drink and got talking to the lovely owners who were very friendly and hospitable. The pub was filled with interesting memorabilia and antiques, including mannequins having a drink at the bar and a room with a trampoline and toys for the kids. I even felt comfortable enough to breastfeed Nella whilst sitting at the bar. The owner joked that I couldn’t breastfeed in the pub and I laughed too and joked that I would post online and he’d get some lovely publicity from outraged mothers. We all had a good laugh and I realised I’ve never received a negative comment for breastfeeding in public. Hopefully I never will.

The past two days have brought us from the rainforest to the outback and what a difference that’s made. I’m sad that we won’t see the ocean for a few months, but excited about returning the desert and the characters we’ll meet along the way.

Read 718 times Last modified on Time: Saturday, 28 May 2016 12:04

1 comment

  • Chasqui Orozco
    Comment Link Chasqui Orozco Saturday, 04 June 2016 06:50

    I find your adventur fascinating

Make sure you enter the (*) required information where indicated. HTML code is not allowed.